* Cocao, from which chocolate is created, is said to have originated in the Amazon at least 4,000 years ago.
* Chocolate was used by the Mayan culture as early as 6th century AD. In the Yucatan Peninsula, the Mayans cultivated the earliest known cocoa plantations.
* The Aztec emperor, Montezuma, drank thick chocoalte dyed red. The drink was served in golden goblets that were thrown away after only one use. He liked it so much that he was purported to drink 50 goblets every day!
* In both the Mayan and Aztec cultures, cocoa was the basis for the think, cold, unsweetened drink called “xocoatl“, believed to be a health elixir.
* Hernando Cortez, who conquered part of Mexico in 1519, presented Spanish King Charles V with cocoa beans from the New World and the necessary tools for its preparation. By 1585, the first shipment of beans inteded for market made it to Spain.